Betaworks Studios is seeking a Community Connector passionate about networking and technology to drive the creation of unique interactions between our members, community, and the Studios brand.
The Community Connector is an essential part of Betaworks Studios. Part matchmaker, part concierge, and part community manager - you will be the leader of the member experience. Your efforts will ensure that those who visit Studios virtually or in-person will feel excited about the space, staff, and community along with the connections they make here along and the resources available to them through membership. You will be responsible for creating an environment that maximizes member satisfaction and achieves the space’s goals.
Above all, you are an extroverted and well-liked person with broad tech/startup industry familiarity and get excited by bringing people together. Additionally:
- You may have lived a past life as a designer, engineer, or product manager and have a high degree of familiarity with tech/engineering stacks and the roles that different developers within those teams play.
- You have a unique combination of people skills, emotional intelligence, and passion for startups and technology
- You may have previously served as a headhunter, or at least have that kind of innate understanding of how to get to know people and figuring out how you can help them by connecting them with others in your network and the networks of those around you
This cross-departmental role will be part of the Studios Experiences team, and will call for you to collaborate regularly with the events, marketing, sales, product, and tech teams. The ability to communicate clearly and effectively across functions is critical. We will look to you to develop a plan and strategy to succeed in your position, and to help Studios succeed in nurturing its community. You will report directly to the Executive Director.
- Be the champion of Studios’ mission and culture— you’re excited to come to work every day, and it is your goal to make sure our member community is, too.
- Facilitate networking, introductions, and matchmaking among Studios members.
- Conduct ongoing research on current Studios members: who they are, what are interested in doing and why they are members
- Work with Experiences team to drive member awareness and attendance of events and learn from members what they want to see in the experiences program, which includes events, office hours, product showcases and more
- Work with the tech and product team to help define and spec the internal tools we develop to drive member connections and satisfaction
- Manage customer experience and feedback process
The ideal candidate knows how to build and engage with communities at scale and has developed enough contacts and respect to become known as a high-touch networker and driver within senior levels of the tech industry. This candidate is inspired by the scrappiness of startup environments — yet understands the importance for startups to convey polish and sophistication from Day 1 — and thrives when collaborating with others.
- Highly extroverted -- your default “resting state” is to find someone to talk to
- 3-5 years of experience within the tech and/or investment fields
- Past experience as a recruiter in technology fields or as a community manager is a strong plus
- Past experience/familiarity in engineering/development a significant plus
- Excellent people and customer service skills; experience in client and/or hospitality roles a plus
- Great team player, team builder, and an all-around empathetic person comfortable working across departments
- Quick thinking and remarkable problem-solving abilities–you’re resourceful and adaptable, a bit of a juggler sometimes
- Open to a full-time job with shifting hours to include occasional nights based on needs
- Competitive salary and benefits, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage for you and your family/spouse/legal dependents offered at 3 tiers
- Matched 401K retirement plan
- Life & Disability insurance
- Free membership to One Medical
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter and FSA benefits
- Flexible PTO
- A fast-paced yet supportive + awesome place to work
- Free snacks and coffee
- A beautiful workspace in the Meatpacking District, alongside the High Line, Whitney, and Standard Hotel
- Working in proximity to the other Betaworks teams (Camps, Ventures)
- Access to all company organized events, like weekly demos, betas, talks, presentations, and lunches that define the Betaworks & Studios experience
- A primary role at an early stage business building many, many things from the ground up
- Expansive access to Betaworks resources and experts, including investing, branding, finance, and operations
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
About Betaworks Studios
Betaworks Studios is an innovative social club and workspace supporting the founder community. We operate a physical members-only space in New York City's Meatpacking District, where we also curate public and private events. We host and support a virtual community of members from across the globe, with online tools and regular virtual events. Studios members include entrepreneurs, startup founders, and investors - with an emphasis on people building frontier tech.
Betaworks is a New York-based venture fund and accelerator. We also build communities. We're a diverse team, but we have one thing in common: we're all passionate builders. Our former startup studio produced companies like GIPHY, Dots, bitly, Digg, Anchor, Instapaper, Tweetdeck, Chartbeat, and many others. At Betaworks we are focused on building for tomorrow. We are continually thinking, ideating and creating around what we’re passionate about; growing startups.